Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

meaning of the word "exact"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Applied Linguistics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hereinchina

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: meaning of the word "exact" Reply with quote

Hello,
What is the meaning of the words "exact" and "exactly" in the following sentences?
1. You are doing the exact wrong thing.
2. The definition of the phrase "clear goal" is the following: a specific goal, you know exactly what you want, there is no confusion about your goals.
3. Take a look at what you want to achieve and determine what your exact goals are before considering the different types of advertising methods and which one is best for you.
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There comes a point when verbal definition fails (e.g. when you ask "What is the meaning of 'meaning'?" LOL) and other means may be necessary and indeed possibly even better. Personally I'd be tempted to demonstate this particular meaning by making a large pointed dart or pin-like tool and miming the action of "pinpointing" something, pinning it down exactly. Then there is the verbal reponse 'Exactly!', perhaps accompanied by a similar though slighter dart-wielding/throwing action to emphasise the point being made/agreed upon.
Lorikeet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd even prefer "You are doing exactly the wrong thing." to "You are doing the exact wrong thing." but I sure couldn't explain why. I'll leave that to Fluffy Very Happy
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's enough variety in the three examples to form analogies either way, so take your pick really, Lori! Wink
hereinchina

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Hello,
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Applied Linguistics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: