meaning of the word "exact"

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

hereinchina

meaning of the word "exact"

Post by hereinchina » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:15 pm

Hello,
What is the meaning of the words "exact" and "exactly" in the following sentences?
1. You are doing the exact wrong thing.
2. The definition of the phrase "clear goal" is the following: a specific goal, you know exactly what you want, there is no confusion about your goals.
3. Take a look at what you want to achieve and determine what your exact goals are before considering the different types of advertising methods and which one is best for you.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:55 pm

There comes a point when verbal definition fails (e.g. when you ask "What is the meaning of 'meaning'?" LOL) and other means may be necessary and indeed possibly even better. Personally I'd be tempted to demonstate this particular meaning by making a large pointed dart or pin-like tool and miming the action of "pinpointing" something, pinning it down exactly. Then there is the verbal reponse 'Exactly!', perhaps accompanied by a similar though slighter dart-wielding/throwing action to emphasise the point being made/agreed upon.

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:08 am

I'd even prefer "You are doing exactly the wrong thing." to "You are doing the exact wrong thing." but I sure couldn't explain why. I'll leave that to Fluffy :D

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:54 pm

There's enough variety in the three examples to form analogies either way, so take your pick really, Lori! :wink:

hereinchina

thanks

Post by hereinchina » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:00 pm

Hello,
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.