Observations/workshops/mentoring advice

<b> Forum for Academic Directors and Academic Coordinators </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

refugee

Observations/workshops/mentoring advice

Post by refugee » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:53 am

I've started a new job as a director or studies for a small business English language school in Turkey and the owner wants me to run workshops and observe other teachers' classes.

This is my first DOS job and previous employers frowned upon such "wastes of time" and so I've had little experience from either end.

I'm wondering whether any of the more experienced here can offer some advice and suggestions for doing observations or running workshops for teachers.

Thanks

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:43 am

We had twice monthly meetings for an hour with all the teachers and each teacher took a turn in presenting something they did for twenty or so minutes. Usually it was something that the other teachers had heard about from previous students of that teacher and were curious about so there were lots of questions.

We also were encouraged to attend conferences and report back on workshops there.

The teachers requested topics or speakers and the boss brought them in.

As far as observing teachers, I would try to establish a very positive relationship with them by pointing out their strengths and then using those in the workshops to boost the teachers status. " When I was observing in Mrs. So and So's class, I noticed that she had, did...." I, personally, would never use the observations as a chance to try and change the teacher. It probably won't work and you will be feared rather than thought of a supporter.

Always tell the teachers when you are coming in so they can prepare their best lessons and show off and give them lots of positive encouragement in front of their students. The whole process can be a very positive experience for your school and boost morale in teachers and students.

If you do see things you don't like, bring it up in a staff meeting as a general rule rather than an individual failing. "Remember that our school does .... or promotes ....".

refugee

Post by refugee » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:49 am

Thanks Sally - focusing on the positives seems like solid advice.