should I use "can" or "could" : "S

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

hereinchina

should I use "can" or "could" : "S

Post by hereinchina » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:41 pm

Hello,
I'm not sure if I should use the word "could" or "can" in the following sentence:
"Seeing blood sends a chill down my spine, that's why I "could / can" never become doctor."

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:36 am

One would use 'could' here to either signal temporal remoteness (i.e. "This happened in the past") or factual remoteness/unreality/an imagined situation at a remove as it were from the present/current reality (i.e. "This by virtue of the remote form used is obviously not a real possibility"), both of which are in clear contrast to the non-remote form 'can', which the speaker might be using for reasons like the following: "My father is a doctor and is still pressuring me to follow in his footsteps, so I have to rule out that current or future real possibility by emphasizing my squeamishness", or "Much as I'd love to become a doctor, my squeamishness at the sight of blood makes my hands shake too much for it to be safe for me to wield a scalpel".
Last edited by fluffyhamster on Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hereinchina

thank you

Post by hereinchina » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:50 pm

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.