Most people "would / will" go to any length to get

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

hereinchina

Most people "would / will" go to any length to get

Post by hereinchina » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:12 pm

Hello,
I'm not sure if I should use the word "would" or "will" in the following sentence, or if the sentence would have the same meaning either way?
Most people "would / will" go to any length to get rich.
I think that either word is grammatically correct, but that the word "would "implies a certain "deviousness", however: doing things that most people would not do, such as stealing someone's ideas and presenting it as one's own.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:19 pm

Using 'will' in this context to me suggests that we are talking about an actual person or persons who has or have done something quite objectionable in their pursuit of wealth; with 'would' on the other hand, it is harder to think of as clear a context (but as an example, how about: our verbally reacting to the purely hypothetical answers that contestants might have reason to give on a gameshow).

Or you might like to compare the following two sentences - which one makes it sound more likely that I'm willing and immediately able to help you?

I'll do anything to help you.
I'd do anything to help you.

hereinchina

thanks for an excellent answer

Post by hereinchina » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:32 pm

Hello,
You always give excellent answers and for that I'm thankful.
Best wishes,