How do you "release your pressure"?

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

hereinchina

How do you "release your pressure"?

Post by hereinchina » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:43 pm

Hello,
I know that you can use the expression “release your stress”, but is the expression “release your pressure” also grammatically correct? In other words, do the following sentences make sense and are they grammatically correct?
1. How do you release your pressure?
2. I release my pressure by playing tennis.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:13 pm

The first word I thought of in this context is 'unwind', which I see is given as the very first synonym of 'relax' in the Concise Oxford Thesaurus; both are single-word items and thus require little knowledge of collocations etc (i.e. 'How do you relax/unwind?' is pretty basic grammar). The fact that your student(s) came up with the very unidiomatic-sounding 'release one's pressure' suggests a real need to invest in (and/or then without fail actually consult!) at least a good bilingual (E-C/C-E) dictionary, e.g. the Oxford/CP Concise E-C/C-E, for working in a C-E direction; then, once in the correct English ballpark lexically-speaking, a good bilingualized (E-E-C) learner's dictionary, e.g. the Oxford Advanced Learner's, will provide a wide enough range of examples that there will be little or no doubt as to what is the best item or phrase for any given context (and again, 'relax' and 'unwind' would seem quite simple items to use). So this has little to do with (in)correct grammar or collocations, and is more to do with what the English-speaking community is actually recorded as often saying (versus what a learner of English might imagine or theoretically fancy English people as potentially saying, which may often be more complex than real usage has had need to be!). Edit: I've just thought of 'to let off steam', though its meaning is more "get rid of and/or express unwanted energy, anger or other strong emotions" than simply 'relax, unwind, de-stress/destress'.

In anticipation of a related issue:
http://forums.eslcafe.com/teacher/viewtopic.php?t=9866
(Please note however that Imageshack may now be harbouring virus-scan pop-up scams, and that the Birmingham sublink may be deemed an 'untrusted connection' if you are using certain versions of Firefox).

hereinchina

thank you kind sir

Post by hereinchina » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:33 pm

Hello,
Once again, thanks for taking the time to answer my question.