Forbidden Language

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

lek72

Forbidden Language

Post by lek72 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:22 pm

After reading the first five chapters of a book called Forbidding Language, I found that the restrictive language policies in California, Arizona, and Massachussett did not help closing the achievement gaps for the English language learners. This piece of information supports my belief in bilingual education/ESL. I strongly belief that it is important for students to be able to maintain their native language (L1) and culture through bilingual/multicultural education. This will help those ELL students, as well as native English speakers, be educated and prepared to function in a culturally diverse nation--and in a society that is becoming global. What do you think?

suarez07

Bilingual Education/Classrooms

Post by suarez07 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:56 pm

I agree. I have read the chapters as well and feel that given the right perameters, and direction, a billingual classroom/education is important for our ELLs. It is amazing to see how many states, policies, and legislations are all dealing with our non-English speaking studnts. Some are not supportive, some are, and others just don't have a clue!! I feel that as a nation, we should strive for intelligence and success as a whole.