Arizona's Prop 203 & its stand on EL progress

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

suarez07

Arizona's Prop 203 & its stand on EL progress

Post by suarez07 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:43 pm

I just finished reading a study that evaluated the academic achievements of Arizona's English Learners (EL) under Arizona's restrictive language policy. I must warn you, that what I'm about to say, is strictly my own personal opinion and might anger some of you reading this. I was sad to learn about Arizona's way of handeling their EL students. It appears that Arizona is not supportive of its EL population. In addition, the teaching theories thay are choosing to implement their educational programs and practices are not fair, or not productive, to the needs of their EL population. Although their students' academic scores show little to no increase on their academic scores, I think that reclassification is occuring prematurely for their EL student population, thus effecting their academic growth. There is still an academic achievment gap present and not being properly addressed. Lastly, I agree with the study in that students' langauge barriers are going unnoticed and not being properly addressed.