Do politicians know best?

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

wenrodriguez

Do politicians know best?

Post by wenrodriguez » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:27 am

Federal and state governments have been involved in addressing the educational needsof Enlglish language learners through litigation, legislations, and programs. Despite efforts needs are not being met.How can we as educator better advocate for the needs of our students? Also how can we better educate government authorities on the realities of the classroom?

eslwendy

Post by eslwendy » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:29 pm

Unfortunately, at this time we don't have enough research that we can take to politicians and policy makers to make our case for what needs to be done. I think that's where we have to start. Sadly, however, I'm not sure that that would help. I wish there were a way that they could be in our shoes for a few days. I resent how the people that come up with these "solutions" have never seen a child who knows very little English struggle to get through their classwork.

inperez

Post by inperez » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:36 am

I must agree with eslwendy, there isn't enough research to support or argue a point. I think we can do our best to just advocate within our classrooms and coworkers. Sometimes just one small step at a time can lead for a change in the future.

Madeline

Post by Madeline » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:20 pm

Yes, it's true. I think at this point the only thing we can do as teachers is get all the training we need to help bilingual and esl students. I can't wait to get my group of kids to help them the best way I know how. It starts with having a passion for teaching esl and bilingual students. After the passion comes the training and the will to put that training to work in the classrooms and local district.