English only instruction Vs Native language instruction

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Madeline

English only instruction Vs Native language instruction

Post by Madeline » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:25 pm

I am all for giving ELL students instruction in their native language. I believe that this does promote their academic acheivement in school. What are your thoughts about this and what are you for?

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:24 pm

Agree.

inperez

Post by inperez » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:45 am

I agree with you on this. I believe that for them to be successful while learning English, the student needs to be able to be taught in their native language. I think doing so, we won't see a big achievement gap because they still will have learned the content at their appropriate grade level.

millerd

English Only May Have Some Benefits For Adults

Post by millerd » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:42 pm

EO for adults with limited language proficiency, when they are seeking to enter the workforce rapidly, has some merits. While reading the posts on this website, I can understand the arguments for BE, especially for children; however, for adults the EO method that specifically targets the skills in the workforce that the adult is seeking to learn.

D. Miller

andrewgessman

Post by andrewgessman » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:59 am

I agree that Bilingual Education can be an important feature of English language education. I am especially in favor of BE as a way to boost L1 proficiency/literacy, which is necessary to possess before going on to learn an L2. This is especially true when in comes to literacy skills. If people must learn to read, they will have an easier time learning in their L1. Then you establish literacy, phasing English in as the student makes progress.