Which nursery rhymes work best for your classes?

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

bradwelljackson

Which nursery rhymes work best for your classes?

Post by bradwelljackson » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:26 am

I'm going to be teaching a "fun" English class, and I need some ideas for nursery rhymes that work well. You know, get the kids up and excited. The country is China. Please share with me any nursery rhymes you have used that really got the kids happy and active.
Thank you :)

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:55 pm

If you can get the large picture books that helps to show them the nursery rhyme until they learn it by heart and then you can act them out. I think any of them work well because they were made for kids.
I also like Shel Siverstein's books and of course, anything by Dr. Suess. There are chant books for kids too - Jazz Chants, Mother Goose Chants and Fairy Tale Chants by Carolyn Graham. Lots of fun.
I love to do the Three Bears.

Brie M.

Nursery rhymes

Post by Brie M. » Tue May 29, 2012 6:40 pm

I love using nursery rhymes in my class. Last summer I taught a 'fun' English summer program with beginner-advanced students and I used The Three Little Pigs. The students had a lot of fun and I was able to incorporate various subjects with one piece of literature. We worked on synonyms and antonyms, wrote letters to the big bad wolf, and even built different size houses. The students also enjoyed acting like a little pig or the big bad wolf. Then I read The True Story of the Three Little Pigs and we compared the stories.