Cambridge TKT

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

church_lady

Cambridge TKT

Post by church_lady » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:41 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to find out how necessary the Cambridge TKT is for an American. I don't see myself going outside the U.S. for a few years yet, and I will not be traveling to New York to take the exam.

Input?

Thanks

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:49 am

AFAIK the TKT has no observed practicum (unlike the CELTA) and is therefore more designed for non-natives who may be qualified English teachers yet perhaps still lacking (or feel they are lacking) some of the "knowledge" (jargon, terms, concepts etc) of western~communicative ELT.

I suppose gaining the TKT would be better than nothing if you are trying, presumably unqualified, to get into TESL in the US, and indeed if you have your sights eventually set on TEFLing around the world. But the CELTA (or an equivalent cert) would be more likely (due to the observed teaching practice component) to cut a bit more ice in terms of getting hired especially in native English-speaking countries or around Europe; it will however add little in terms of career prospects (for which a specialized MA is it now seems a fact of life), and isn't really needed and may not even be that well-known in many countries (e.g. China, Japan), where all that is required for immigration~work visa purposes is a bachelor's degree in any subject.

church_lady

Post by church_lady » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:38 am

Thank you for the info/advise. So basically, TKT is little more than "window dressing" for an American, is what I hearing from you. I have a BA in English Lit, but no teaching credential. My desire is to set up a program in my church, and maybe go back to school to get the credential/MA.
Thanks again,

Church Lady
fluffyhamster wrote:AFAIK the TKT has no observed practicum (unlike the CELTA) and is therefore more designed for non-natives who may be qualified English teachers yet perhaps still lacking (or feel they are lacking) some of the "knowledge" (jargon, terms, concepts etc) of western~communicative ELT.

I suppose gaining the TKT would be better than nothing if you are trying, presumably unqualified, to get into TESL in the US, and indeed if you have your sights eventually set on TEFLing around the world. But the CELTA (or an equivalent cert) would be more likely (due to the observed teaching practice component) to cut a bit more ice in terms of getting hired especially in native English-speaking countries or around Europe; it will however add little in terms of career prospects (for which a specialized MA is it now seems a fact of life), and isn't really needed and may not even be that well-known in many countries (e.g. China, Japan), where all that is required for immigration~work visa purposes is a bachelor's degree in any subject.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:50 pm

Hey, I just did a quick search of the Job Discussion forums to see if I'd missed anything about the TKT, and a thread entitled 'TKT Practical' leapt out at me (I hadn't realized Cambridge had added such a module). I haven't done the sums, but if taking the 3 or so theoretical~paper-based modules (which I'm assuming are a pre-requisite for taking the Practical), and then the Practical at some point, all works out still cheaper and/or more convenient than the CELTA, then it might actually be worth considering.
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=92750

church_lady

Post by church_lady » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:04 pm

Hi,

I'm sorry I missed this! I promise I wasn't ignoring you:) I got confirmation that I really didn't need the TKT. I went and had it removed from my training. I'm glad I did it because now they're rethinking the whole idea of Americans actually having a choice to take it or not.

fluffyhamster wrote:Hey, I just did a quick search of the Job Discussion forums to see if I'd missed anything about the TKT, and a thread entitled 'TKT Practical' leapt out at me (I hadn't realized Cambridge had added such a module). I haven't done the sums, but if taking the 3 or so theoretical~paper-based modules (which I'm assuming are a pre-requisite for taking the Practical), and then the Practical at some point, all works out still cheaper and/or more convenient than the CELTA, then it might actually be worth considering.
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=92750