Testing and Assessing

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Madeline

Testing and Assessing

Post by Madeline » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:37 pm

I have written at least 4 different test for my ELL students this year. Very new at this and find it really challenging sometimes. I know that some of my students know the work because as I assess them during the week they can give me respond to questions, they say comments. I really think they get it and they are learning and I am so proud of them. When they take the test it's like they never learned anything. I try to vary the test with multiple choice, open ended questions etc. and some seeem to fail anyway. I think I may have to reevaluate the way I form the test or something. Not sure, but this is very challenging because I know they know the work. Any suggestions?

simone.brazil

Assessing students

Post by simone.brazil » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:45 pm

Madeline,
I think that many students are very bad test takers, even when they know the content, however tests are part of our lives and eventually they will have to face them. I would suggest you to assess them not only through written tests but orally, or any other way you can think of. The more comfortable they feel the better they will score. Students' mind can actually go blank just with the thought of taking a test, so you should grade them daily, according to participation, discussions and also tests. Also take a time to explain to them the importance of being a good test taker and making smart choices and decisions when taking tests.
Good Luck!