Role of teacher

<b> Forum for elementary education ESL/EFL teachers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

MelissaQ

Role of teacher

Post by MelissaQ » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:49 pm

I was just wondering how you get students to be willing to communicate. This type of interaction definitely requires a "can do" and "want to do" attitude on the part of the English Language Learner. This is certainly an important aspect of interacting. What do you do if your students just simply do not want to communicate with other students in English? As someone in the middle of a career change from an entirely different field, I am just wonderng how long it takes a teacher to be able to move smoothly between all of his/her roles of being a controller, director, manager, facilitator, and a resource.

longshikong

Re: Role of teacher

Post by longshikong » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:12 am

MelissaQ wrote:I was just wondering how you get students to be willing to communicate. This type of interaction definitely requires a "can do" and "want to do" attitude on the part of the English Language Learner. This is certainly an important aspect of interacting. What do you do if your students just simply do not want to communicate with other students in English? As someone in the middle of a career change from an entirely different field, I am just wonderng how long it takes a teacher to be able to move smoothly between all of his/her roles of being a controller, director, manager, facilitator, and a resource.
You haven't provided any info as to who and where you teach and what methods you're usin but asking yourself and those around you why they may not be willing to communicate will hopefully lead you to some solutions.

MegCast

Post by MegCast » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:29 pm

Over time and through classroom experience you will notice that it becomes easier to transition between roles and quickly adapt to the needs of your students. Once you get to know their individual strengths, weaknesses, and learning styles you will be able to anticipate the teaching role they require from you.

As far as willingness to communicate, I think that finding ways to incorporate speaking and listening activities into your lessons might help. The use of dialogues and responsive activities, will require students to work together and practice communicating. Start slow to build their confidence and work to maintain an inclusive and accepting classroom environment. :)

lip420

Post by lip420 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:41 pm

I would set up an English only rule and focus on making your classes more enjoyable.

birdy

Post by birdy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:11 am

I read a book (Brown) that says that students who are self-confident are more willing to communicate. Student that are being able to take more risks, while using their language skills, have the ability to accomplish more. In order for students to take this risk, they need to be confident in their language skills. I think thoughtful student praise and well designed speaking tasks that are slowly introduced can definitely be helpful in accommodating students’ willingness to communicate. I think you are on the right path, since you are reflecting your teaching.