Teaching Across Age Leves

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

simone.brazil

Teaching Across Age Leves

Post by simone.brazil » Mon May 28, 2012 3:37 pm

"Popular tradition would have you believe that children are effortless second language learners and far superior to adults in their eventual success." For those who have already taught ESL to children and adults, who really has more chance of learning English faster and accurately? I have heard many times that children have more chances in being successful ESL learners, however according to H. Douglas Brown author of "Teaching by Principles", "....adults are not necessarily less successful in their efforts. Studies have shown that adults, in fact, can be superior in a number os aspects of acquisition. They can learn and retain larger vocabulary." P.101

Madeline

Post by Madeline » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:31 pm

I am not sure because I never taught ESL to adults but I am assuming that adults may learn faster then children because they already have a knowledge of a vast amount of concepts, to which they can apply foreign words to. But people do say that Children are able to grab the language easier if they are taught from birth to maybe 3 years old. Sorry I did not answer your question. Just putting in my 2 sense.