Alternative Classroom-Based Assessment

<b> Forum for the discussion of assessment and testing of ESL/EFL students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

RachelMHansen

Alternative Classroom-Based Assessment

Post by RachelMHansen » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:35 pm

I’ve been reading about alternative assessments. I understand that our students have to take traditional tests. However, I think that decontextualization of the test content and the timed format can make it very difficult for ELLs to be successful on standardized tests. I find myself more in favor of untimed, free- response type assessments. I believe this enables the students to have their English language skills more accurately assessed. Is it okay to rely primarily on these assessments in my classroom, or will this do a disservice to students when they have to then take state standardized tests?

bozzy

Post by bozzy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:50 am

I believe a mixture of both would be ideal. That way, when the student has to sit and take a standard test, they know "how it goes" and can accomplish the test without feeling lost.

Donnetta

Post by Donnetta » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:27 pm

I am in total agreement. Assessments should be varied. Too much of any one thing (no matter how good) is overkill and thus becomes ineffective. Porfolios are good; but they shouldn't be the only form of assessment. I am a HUGE fan of IPA's (Integrated Performance Assessments) and use them a lot; but you can't just rely on these for assessment purposes either. Though I don't like them much, there is a time and a place for standardized assessment tests and like it or not, our students will take them so we must prepare them to be effective test takers as well. Balance is the key or boredom and scewed test results will be the only thing we get out of assessment. I mean I love water but I can't live off just water only. :D