Strategies for higher level learning

<b> Forum for ESL/EFL teachers working with secondary school students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

mlordon

Strategies for higher level learning

Post by mlordon » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:23 am

I had the opportunity this year with high school students to create some lesson plans that utilized Bloom's high level questions and was pleasantly surprised to see that the results brought more student involvement and a deeper level of understanding to the skills being taught.

I used a lesson plan that took a short story, a difficult one, called the "Open Window" where three people in the story have three views of what is going on in the story. I let the students work in groups and pick the point of view of one of the three main characters to take the story and make it into a newspaper article answering the newspaper questions who, what, when, where, and why. It was a difficult lesson and it took a few days to complete but at the end all of the students realized how different the point of view of the different characters was and how it affected the original story.

It was a fun lesson to do, but the Bloom's questions were on my index card notes the whole time....if you are not used to using them, write them into your lesson plans to remind yourself. It is definitely worth the effort.