Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I hate to go out shopping, thus I let my fingers do the walk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Applied Linguistics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hereinchina

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: I hate to go out shopping, thus I let my fingers do the walk Reply with quote

Hello,
Is sentence number one confusing because I don't make the context clear enough, or can you know that I'm referring to shopping online? In other words, do I need to add "and shop online" like I added in sentence number two, or do both sentences obviously have the same meaning?
1. I hate to go out shopping in Beijing because of the terrible traffic jams, thus I let my fingers do the walking.
2. I hate to go out shopping in Beijing because of the terrible traffic jams, thus I let my fingers do the walking and shop online.
Lorikeet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your second sentence would be clearer. I remember an old advertisement for the yellow pages, the book for advertising businesses with their addresses and phone numbers, which said "let your fingers do the walking" but I don't know if that is understood by other people, and whether it would be understood to mean shopping online or not.
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun and potentially instructive as that 'fingers' phrase may be, I think it's a bit too idiomatic (a Yellow Pages slogan < ? > a song by Neil Young) to be worth teaching. Why not just say "I (often) prefer to shop online, as it's easier/more convenient than trying to park (at) and walk around the shops".

Last edited by fluffyhamster on Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:50 am; edited 1 time in total
hereinchina

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: thank you Reply with quote

I want to thank both of you for taking the time to answer my question.
Michellekj

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Fingers do the walking. Shop on line. Reply with quote

"fingers do the walking" is an idiom. So the second sentence is a better one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Applied Linguistics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: