Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Low Incidence Special Education

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Intensive English Programs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JPAHS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Low Incidence Special Education Reply with quote

Hi!

I am new to the forum and was wondering if anyone has had experience with ELLs, who also are students with mild to moderate intellectual disabilities. I am interested in learning about your special education and ESOL program and any strategies that have/have not worked well for you.
Sally Olsen

Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great success with an iPad. It allows the student to do something over and over and usually in a fun game. They love the Smartboard as well. Hands on and lots of repetition with fun games or graphics.
JPAHS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! We were just issued iPads a few months ago and they have been awesome in the classroom! Do you have any app suggestions that you particularly liked?
Sally Olsen

Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking pictures, then having the student tell a story about the pictures which we print underneath and making a slideshow of it for them to review.
Making funny pictures from the special effects and making up a story about them.
Same for the draw programs.
Talking about the game while they are playing it. "You are a big ape chasing a man. He is jumping. He jumped on the rope and is sliding down to an island. Turn right. Jump. Don't jump. " After awhile they pick up the vocabulary.
I also used whatever game or toy was popular at the time. With Pokemon cards I taught body parts, colours and landscape features.
With Donald Duck et al, I taught family members and transportation.
With baseball cards I taught numbers and positions of the players.
I would reward them with a card for their collection for a certain number of right answers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Intensive English Programs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: