Low Incidence Special Education

<b> Forum for teachers and administrators of IEP programs </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

JPAHS

Low Incidence Special Education

Post by JPAHS » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:50 am

Hi!

I am new to the forum and was wondering if anyone has had experience with ELLs, who also are students with mild to moderate intellectual disabilities. I am interested in learning about your special education and ESOL program and any strategies that have/have not worked well for you.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:14 am

Great success with an iPad. It allows the student to do something over and over and usually in a fun game. They love the Smartboard as well. Hands on and lots of repetition with fun games or graphics.

JPAHS

Post by JPAHS » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:06 pm

Thanks! We were just issued iPads a few months ago and they have been awesome in the classroom! Do you have any app suggestions that you particularly liked?

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:48 am

Taking pictures, then having the student tell a story about the pictures which we print underneath and making a slideshow of it for them to review.
Making funny pictures from the special effects and making up a story about them.
Same for the draw programs.
Talking about the game while they are playing it. "You are a big ape chasing a man. He is jumping. He jumped on the rope and is sliding down to an island. Turn right. Jump. Don't jump. " After awhile they pick up the vocabulary.
I also used whatever game or toy was popular at the time. With Pokemon cards I taught body parts, colours and landscape features.
With Donald Duck et al, I taught family members and transportation.
With baseball cards I taught numbers and positions of the players.
I would reward them with a card for their collection for a certain number of right answers.