Help student understand English spoken w/ various accents

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Anjali

Post by Anjali » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:29 am

I have a highly educated Japanese student who speaks fluent English but has trouble understanding English when it's spoken with French, Spanish, and a variety of other accents. Where can I find video's of people speaking English w/ foreign accents and English subtitles on screen? Or any other suggestions. Thank you!

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:29 am

Youtube.

Anjali

Post by Anjali » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:38 pm

Sally Olsen wrote:Youtube.
Hi Sally,

I spent a lot of time searching youtube before posting my topic. I was able to find people, acting coaches for example, describing how different accents are produced, but not what I described in my question. Do you have any links to subtitled youtube videos of "foreigners" speaking English with an accent? Thank you.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:54 pm

Hard to get subtitles. He can do that and you can check if he is right. Any good news organization from a country that normally does not speak English will provide short news items that you can subtitle.

I used to get the news printed out from major radio staions. They have a kind of shorthand- tho for though - and so on. Then the students would listen to the short newscast - one minute or so and then read the news and then go back and listen and read and finally listen. It provided lots of discussion points as well. I understand some of the major tests take their new vocabulary from the British news.

Anjali

Post by Anjali » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:42 pm

Thanks very much. I'll pursue that avenue.