Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BEWARE: Simply English in Moscow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jwrigley47

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: BEWARE: Simply English in Moscow Reply with quote

Please be wary of joining Simply English in Moscow.

I worked for them from September until December in 2013 and left after the cruel mistreatment of a co-worker and the subsequent discovery that our business visas had never been registered per Russian law (meaning that we could have been deported on the spot had we been stopped on the street).

About three weeks before Christmas, she was fired on trumped-up accusations of "stealing clients" (a client had requested additional lessons on the weekend) and then given two days to move out of her apartment. They did not pay her wages owed nor give her the two-week notice required by Russian law. She managed to plead with them to allow her a full week to move out, although the manager, a Canadian man named Jack, laughed at her when she told him she was scared, being kicked out so abruptly in Russian winter.

When the day came for her to move out, they called and then lied to the police, saying that she had been given two weeks to move out after failing to pay rent. When questioned about her visa registration--the police said they would take her to the border immediately without this--they managed to squirm their way out with more lies. They had already packed up her belongings, throwing food in with clothes and discarding her laundry.

Atop her crumpled things, she found a chilling postcard from them which read, "From Russia With Love."

I left this company on December 21st, refusing to continue to stay with a company that behaves in such an inhumane and cruel manner. Fearing the retribution of the manager, I admit that I did not give notice but rather secretly packed up my things and found a new job here in China. I miss my students in Moscow and feel badly about leaving in such a manner, but I believe it was for the best.

The teacher who was fired, another co-worker, and I had discussed having a "bad feeling" about this company before we ever left for Russia. Would that I had been warned before I joined this company. Hopefully, posting this will save others from the illegal and heartless company known as Simply English.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: