Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Use Social Media as a Teaching Tool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Computer Assisted Language Learning
View previous topic :: View next topic  
millerd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: The Use Social Media as a Teaching Tool Reply with quote

Beyond some of the posts about the use of Twitter, has anyone else used social media as a teaching tool? Specifically, I am seeking information about Facebook and Youtube.com. I would be open to other forms of social media as well. I use them in my non-ESL classes and I would like to learn how to adapt the uses of these social media in ESL classes.

Thank you,

D. Miller
teacher-ly

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Plot Creator Reply with quote

I've used Twitter as a plot creator to come up with random story lines for my ESL students who need ideas.

You give each individual a un-changing role eg. pupil 1 has to construct a sentence that adds to a plot using a 'woman' or 'car' or something else... so you form a micro-blog/story.

Ly-ann

Educator. Technologist. Writer
www.analternativeeducation.com
MsRookieTeach

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attempted to use Facebook and Google+ as opportunities for advanced ELLs to engage in some "New Journalism." It didn't take off, but I think if the kids were more interested in representing their school in public forums it would work.
tomforsmo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Learning with social media can be powerful Reply with quote

Use of social media is a powerful collaboration tool, and I think it is important that student can learn trough communication with other students or teachers. As of now the challenge with facebook is that your students easily can get distracted as well, thats why I have created a social learning network. http://gostudyit.com/ gives you as a teacher a possibillity to distribute your online learning resources to your students and your students can create notes, reply to assignments or share their notes with their learing network. Its free to register and to create a campus. For a closer look at what you can do take a look at the gostudyit campus http://gostudyit.com/campus/21/streams/5239 or send me a message and Ill help you getting started.
Rosiej6400

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: Social Media Reply with quote

I have used a Facebook template in my class as a resource for students to describe a character of a book. However, I know that at the school I teach at clubs have created a Facebook account to keep in touch with another and share ideas. Have you considered creating a classroom Blog or Wiki? Those are excellent social networking sites that motivate students. Also, you can take advantage of not only teaching students to utilize technology, but educate them in proper and safe uses of technology.
tomforsmo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Gostudyit - a social media tool for schools Reply with quote

If you want to explore the power of social media as a learning tool, http://gostudyit.com is a perfect place to start. This is a Peer-to-Peer teaching network where students and teachers can share and discuss notes, lectures and assignments.
You can embed all types of other websites to your notes such as prezi.com, slideshare.net, onedrive and google documents.

Try it and its free
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Computer Assisted Language Learning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: