Need to find interesting activities to teach phonics

<b> Forum for elementary education ESL/EFL teachers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

joriordan

Need to find interesting activities to teach phonics

Post by joriordan » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:12 pm

I am going to begin teaching a phonics class to a 6 year old Chinese student. There will be 8 hour long lessons. Any suggestions on how to make these lessons interesting? Any fun games or activities?

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:38 pm

I used "Let's Go" by Oxford in Japan. http://www.oup.com/elt/catalogue/isbn/8130?cc=gb It has a little boy or girl for each sound. A my name is Alice sort of thing. They had a little jazz chant for each sound that the children could skip to or sing along with. We used one book to cut out and make puppets out of the figures which we put on chopsticks and then used for puppet shows. The children said their name and as we got better at it they could say where they were from, what they liked, what they did and so on for their sound. A my name is Alice, I'm from Africa, I like apples, my favourite colour is amber, I am afraid of alligators, I drive an ambulance, I was born in August and I am an Arctic explorer. The course has wonderful flash cards and a teacher's manual.

How are you going to teach 44 sounds ln 8 hours?

I just remembered that someone put a whole phonics course on one of these threads. I will search and see if can find it.

If you type in "phonics" in the Search button above you will get a number of hits. Great discussions of why you might not want to teach Phonics.

This is one of the entries:

I saw Phonicball being used in a Chinese School in King Lam Kowloon. The kids were so involved and motivated. Email ESL Education Games at [email protected].

Try the materials here: www.englishraven.com/phonics.html

I typed "free phonics course" in Google and got a page of hits that all look interesting.

silencedobetter

Re: Need to find interesting activities to teach phonics

Post by silencedobetter » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:54 am

joriordan wrote:I am going to begin teaching a phonics class to a 6 year old Chinese student. There will be 8 hour long lessons. Any suggestions on how to make these lessons interesting? Any fun games or activities?
Teaching phonics in ESL is a step-by-step process that essentially familiarizes students with the sounds needed to produce English in order to develop their reading and writing skills.

Here is an article written by an actual teacher in China about "teaching phonics"

KatrinaB88

teaching phonics

Post by KatrinaB88 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:04 pm

You won't teach 'phonics' in 8 hours..... This is a step by step process. There are loads of materials available online and colourful books too. I love Jollyphonics, Ladybird, Oxford, Osbourne etc.....

You can check out my site too for some fun if the class gets tedious, an hour is waaaaaay too long for a 6 year old.