Should we liven this up a bit?

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

revel

Should we liven this up a bit?

Post by revel » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:08 pm

Hey all.

Wow, hard to believe it's been over eight years since I last dropped in at Dave's ESL Café for a FGB. Nine years since I quit participating actively.

So much has changed since then. In 2009, I "retired" from ESL teaching after a healthy 32 or so years doing that. You won't believe what I do now.... agricultural machinery importation and sales. Well, I don't actually import anything, nor do I sell anything, I'm the wise-guy who handles administration in the business.

Anyway, I've been working on other things over the years and one of them had me making a list of ESL forums. And believe it or not, of the dozen-or-so that I've added to my list, Dave's continues to be the one that catches my attention for oh-so-many reasons.

Yet, things seem a little slow here. So, I've jumped in to see if I can stir things up. Not much to say right now, the "project" that brought me back is still being created, so no hints there. Just wanted to say hello again, see if any of my old mates were still around and see if this café is as interesting as it was "way back when".

peace,
revel.

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:07 am

Nice to see you, revel. No, I can't believe you are doing agricultural machinery importation and sales! I retired in 2010 after 40 years teaching ESL, but I am not doing anything exciting like agricultural machinery :D.

Dave's has not been real busy for quite some time, but there are a lot of nice threads in the archives.

Take care!

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:43 am

Always nice to hear what people have been getting up to, but let's face it, these forums have likely had their heyday. Use it (help keep things alive by contributing reasonably regularly) or lose it, I guess. Even the Job Discussion forums have become a shadow of their former self, and now just seem to be serving the rather basic function that books like Griffiths' Teach English Abroad used to (and may still do, for those who aren't complete tightwads, or still have a local library worth visiting!). Sorry that I can't sound more positive LOL. 8)