Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Online grammar & punctuation checkers pedagogically usef

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Computer Assisted Language Learning
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are online grammar & punctuation checkers pedagogically useful?
Yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, not yet (but in time they will be)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0

Montreal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Online grammar & punctuation checkers pedagogically usef Reply with quote

The Problem
Communicative language pedagogy calls on teachers to maximize the number of meaningful messages with a focus on form to help students acquire the language. In the classroom, that means lots of speaking and listening practice using target structures, but because of the amount of time it takes to correct students' writing, teachers tend not to ask students to write very much or very often.

In order to implement the proposals of Communicative Language Teaching more fully, finding ways to maximize opportunities for feedback on writing without overloading themselves with correction work is a current concern for many teachers. Peer-feedback, self-correction, MS Word spell checker use are all being tried with limited success.

My Solution
I have been developing a free online grammar, punctuation, and spell checker for the past 5 years. It started off as tool that I used only with my students, but as it got better and better at catching errors I decided to make it free and accessible to anyone in the world.

Currently, it has these features:
    check spelling

check grammar, punctuation, and word choice

check vocabulary (academic/conversational words, field-related words, cliches, power-words)

paraphrase checker (enter your paraphrase and the original text to compare for similarities)

speech recognition to test pronunciation

text-to-speech to model pronunciation (great for oral presentations)

error correction game to practice self-correction

My Question
My questions for teachers like you are as follows:
    Do you have experience using online grammar checkers with students?

Would you like to try using an online grammar checker?

What was the biggest problem you faced using an online grammar checker with your students?

Assuming grammar checkers could made more reliable, what would be the best way to implement them in a course?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Computer Assisted Language Learning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: