What to teach fluent students?

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

mrg

What to teach fluent students?

Post by mrg » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:53 am

I've been teaching a class of students in a company and I've completely ran out of ideas.

So far I've done technical finance and economics for them and also all of the more soft skill based stuff (negotiations, meetings, job interviews etc)

For the last 3 weeks I've had them each think of a topic and be the teacher for the class.

The class now only want discussion/speaking based classes (don't want me to starnd at the front and teach vocab/sentence patterns etc)

Anyone have any ideas for a 2 hour class with about 12 experienced, fluent students?

Thanks in advance!!

denvincents

Post by denvincents » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:07 am

Hi,

If you need only discussion/speaking classes, you may use Iteslj questions. There are tons of topics with the ready questions related to them. I frequently use this resource. Or you may find the topics on British Council and 123 papers Teachers' Discussion Board.

Here are my last classes (based on speaking and discussions):

Space Mission (role group discussion) - group discussions on space mission, NASA projects and Mars Mission 1.
Groups:
1) NASA scientists;
2) journalists;
3) green peace members.

Elon Musk (role group discussion) - technology class.

Perhaps, you can find something for your class.

GeorgiPorgy

Post by GeorgiPorgy » Wed May 02, 2018 7:00 am

This reply comes a little late since you posted it several months ago, but in my experience idioms and sayings are a fun thing to teach- and most students enjoy and appreciate it.

You wouldn't believe how many 'fluent' speakers/ English students I have taught, that were excellent at business English and the most complex grammatical subjects and yet never heard of expressions such as 'shoot from the hip', 'fan the flames of...' or 'to be a chip off the old block' etc.

I have easily filled long periods of teaching time with teaching students interesting and useful idioms.

British and American slang is also always appreciated (and can be quite colourful!).

Hope this helps.

George