Teaching science to Japanese students in English

<b> Forum for ESL/EFL teachers working with secondary school students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Glenski

Teaching science to Japanese students in English

Post by Glenski » Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:38 pm

I have been asked to serve on a team to teach 1st and 2nd year high school students in Japan. The topic is science. Pretty general. Here is the way it's designed to work.

Only students who sign up will attend. This could be 5-20 students. Since this is a first-time event, nobody knows. During my section, they will be taught in English, so that may deter a large number from enrolling.

1st and 2nd year students will be studying together.

Four Saturdays in June, and four in November, students will attend 90-minute classes. The first 45 are mine, the second 45 belong to a Japanese teacher. We will have to coordinate the lesson, of course, so we teach similar things that day.

The lessons may continue from Sat. to Sat. or may stand alone.

The purpose of this new program is to encourage high level students to hold an interest in science. I will be responsible for the biology section, while the Japanese teachers (plural) will do other fields.

There are to be no tests, nor any homework assignments.

My question is simple. What would you recommend as activities in such a situation? I have no idea what materials we have, but I suspect minimal. I also expect there is no budget, so whatever we have on hand is what we have to work with.

Field trips are acceptable, and since I can figure those out, please don't offer suggestions on that. I want in-class activities or web site sources of them. Students have had at least a couple of years of English, but mostly written.