Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multiculturalism and Students with special needs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Secondary School Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CSUFstudent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Multiculturalism and Students with special needs Reply with quote

I am a multiple subject credential candidate at Cal State Fullerton. As an assignment, I must communicate with professionals in the educational community on two of the following topics. I would appreciate any input that you can offer on these topics prior to Sunday, 3/14/04. When responding, please identify your name and position as well as you general geographic location.

-Do you incorporate or integrate multicultural aspects into all subject areas when teaching? However you address multiculturalism in your classroom, do you experience back lash from parents, faculty, or the community as a result of incorporating multiculturalism? If so, how do you deal with this?

-When you have a student with physical, social, or emotional disabilities in your classroom, how do you personally help the student make friends and feel socially comfortable in your class?
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

high school teacher in Sapporo, Japan

Quote:
Do you incorporate or integrate multicultural aspects into all subject areas when teaching?

Every chance I get, yes.

Quote:
However you address multiculturalism in your classroom, do you experience back lash from parents, faculty, or the community as a result of incorporating multiculturalism

No.

Quote:
When you have a student with physical, social, or emotional disabilities in your classroom, how do you personally help the student make friends and feel socially comfortable in your class?

Make friends? No. Make partners for lesson pair work? Yes.
I don't have any physically challenged students.
Socially challenged students may just be shy, or they may be disruptive brats. I do my best to get them to behave and take part with the others.
Extreme cases of socially and emotionally challenged students are handled specially by the Japanese staff. I give them certain allowances on handing in assignments late or in giving presentations privately instead of in front of the class.
debskirkby

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High School teacher in Kobe area Japan

I also try to incorporate multi-cultural aspects in the class and have had no opposition to this from parents.

I have also had some mentally challenged students in my classes here, for example students with anger attacks, and a student that doesn't talk to anybody...he's such the loveliest smiley little guy though and I'm not sure what he's been through to make him like this...anyway, they are mostly given special attention by the Japanese teacher like Glenski mentioned. When the student has an anger attack he is normally taken out of the class and talked to in a calm manner until he has settled back down. With the silent student I have been trying to figure out how I can involve him...pair work doesn't work because he doesn't talk to his partner, but one student is really good with him so I normally put him together with him and add another student...and the Japanese teacher gets him to write answers for himself...and last week I played pictionary with them and it was PERFECT for him because he was part of a group and he could draw the word and they guessed...and it was so wonderful to see him smile when his team got a point from his drawing!!!

That's all the experience I've had. Hope it's of some use!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Secondary School Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: