Multiculturalism and Students with special needs

<b> Forum for ESL/EFL teachers working with secondary school students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

CSUFstudent

Multiculturalism and Students with special needs

Post by CSUFstudent » Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:23 pm

I am a multiple subject credential candidate at Cal State Fullerton. As an assignment, I must communicate with professionals in the educational community on two of the following topics. I would appreciate any input that you can offer on these topics prior to Sunday, 3/14/04. When responding, please identify your name and position as well as you general geographic location.

-Do you incorporate or integrate multicultural aspects into all subject areas when teaching? However you address multiculturalism in your classroom, do you experience back lash from parents, faculty, or the community as a result of incorporating multiculturalism? If so, how do you deal with this?

-When you have a student with physical, social, or emotional disabilities in your classroom, how do you personally help the student make friends and feel socially comfortable in your class?

Glenski

Post by Glenski » Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:59 am

high school teacher in Sapporo, Japan
Do you incorporate or integrate multicultural aspects into all subject areas when teaching?
Every chance I get, yes.
However you address multiculturalism in your classroom, do you experience back lash from parents, faculty, or the community as a result of incorporating multiculturalism
No.
When you have a student with physical, social, or emotional disabilities in your classroom, how do you personally help the student make friends and feel socially comfortable in your class?
Make friends? No. Make partners for lesson pair work? Yes.
I don't have any physically challenged students.
Socially challenged students may just be shy, or they may be disruptive brats. I do my best to get them to behave and take part with the others.
Extreme cases of socially and emotionally challenged students are handled specially by the Japanese staff. I give them certain allowances on handing in assignments late or in giving presentations privately instead of in front of the class.

debskirkby

Post by debskirkby » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:12 am

High School teacher in Kobe area Japan

I also try to incorporate multi-cultural aspects in the class and have had no opposition to this from parents.

I have also had some mentally challenged students in my classes here, for example students with anger attacks, and a student that doesn't talk to anybody...he's such the loveliest smiley little guy though and I'm not sure what he's been through to make him like this...anyway, they are mostly given special attention by the Japanese teacher like Glenski mentioned. When the student has an anger attack he is normally taken out of the class and talked to in a calm manner until he has settled back down. With the silent student I have been trying to figure out how I can involve him...pair work doesn't work because he doesn't talk to his partner, but one student is really good with him so I normally put him together with him and add another student...and the Japanese teacher gets him to write answers for himself...and last week I played pictionary with them and it was PERFECT for him because he was part of a group and he could draw the word and they guessed...and it was so wonderful to see him smile when his team got a point from his drawing!!!

That's all the experience I've had. Hope it's of some use!