Japanese SHS curriculum help please

<b> Forum for ESL/EFL teachers working with secondary school students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

bogaty

Japanese SHS curriculum help please

Post by bogaty » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:46 am

I teach at a private high school in Japan and the students are quite low level. Each year, I've been asked to come up with a two semester curriculum for the first years and for the intensive English program for the second years (which is anything but intensive). I tried using the New Interchange books last year, but the students couldn't understand the meta-language in the books and I spent more time explaining what I wanted them to do than explaining the English itself. The end result was that both the students and I were frustrated. The texts the school recommended were useless and I ended up sort of ad libbing activities. The activities themselves were usually successful, but there was no continuity from class to class.

I'd like to put something together myself, but I don't have a lot of spare time to do it. Does anyone know of a good course outline or, even better, a fully prepared course program? I've only found two. One was on the www.about.com ESL page and it wasn't very good. The other was at Nada's ESL page, at it seemed OK, but the level was too high for my students.

HELP!

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:50 am

If you want to look at the (soon-to-be-outdated) curriculum guide we use for the non-credit adult classes at City College of San Francisco, you can find it here: http://www.ccsf.edu/Resources/Teacher_R ... /curr.html

bogaty

I'm looking for something more detailed

Post by bogaty » Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:27 am

Thanks for that, but What I'm hoping to find (so I don't have to do it myself) is a nice, pre-packaged deal with all the lesson plans and units layed out and ready for me to use or modify.

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:38 am

Oops, sorry ;) Misunderstood.

debskirkby

Post by debskirkby » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:24 am

I have the same problem but was thinking of getting the school to order new textbooks which you can supplement at need... am thinking of either Cutting Edge or Side by Side or Language to go, all Starters or Elementary...then you can just go through the book with the kids and add bits and pieces where you think it's getting a bit repetitive or needs extra. And it feels more like you are following on in a "sensible" manner. You can get the Publishing companies to send you some books to have a look at...they're quite good like that! Not sure if that helps but thought I'd write it anyway! :)