Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linking and sentence stress is stressing me out??!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Pronunciation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Julia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 8:19 am    Post subject: Linking and sentence stress is stressing me out??!!! Reply with quote

Hi,
My students need help - their English does not sound like English - just like translated Chinese Confused . Does anyone have any tried and tested lessons on linking/sentence stress? Or know any good weblinks??? I need some ideas. Cheers Very Happy !!!
Lorikeet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to take a look at these discussion items on this forum:

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/teacher/viewtopic.php?t=709

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/teacher/viewtopic.php?t=486

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/teacher/viewtopic.php?t=421

And for American English, take a look at Clear Speech by Judy Gilbert (Cambridge University Press)
Julia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers - there's alot of info there -especially liked the Jazz Chant!
Echidna

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Don' Loo_kaway, Loo_kere. Reply with quote

Ah, linking -- easy enough to understand, but dang hard for my students to smoothly use. For most of us, it's an unconscious thing -- "I turn_don the radio" but for my students, it's somewhat of a nightmare. I too would love to hear any ideas about teaching linking. Lorikeet recommended three excellent previous threads; I found the first thread to be particularly helpful.

I've found that many phrasal verbs are great for practicing linking, since most of these verbs are followed by vowel-beginning prepositions (or more accurately, particles.) That is, the verb usually ends with a consonant sound, followed by a vowel sound from the particle. Also with the added bonus that phrasal verbs are just, well... important (and fun) to know.

Turned on -- turn_don
break up -- brea_kup
turn in -- tur_nin
cut off -- cu_toff
hang up -- hanng_gup
heard about -- her_dabout

Does anyone have any great ideas to further the teaching of LINKING? I know in an earlier thread, someone wrote about teaching "The boy_zar in Mali" which I think is an excellent idea.

thanks in advance for your help!
tomtoledo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Don' Loo_kaway, Loo_kere. Reply with quote

Echidna wrote recently:

I've found that many phrasal verbs are great for practicing linking

Turned on -- turn_don
break up -- brea_kup
turn in -- tur_nin
cut off -- cu_toff
hang up -- hanng_gup
heard about -- her_dabout (end of quote from Echidna)

If you would like to have your students hear lots of examples of this, you might want them to check out the Phrasal Verbs listening activities at

www.englishzoom.com

It's a content-based grammar / listening practice site. Grammar practice activities are related to a story, which your students can also read and listen to online. Activities include mixers, story boards, filll-in, and multiple choice activities -- all designed to be fun. Students can email you from each page as they do it, so you'll know what they've done.

I've just completed 14 activities featuring phrasal verbs, and I'd love to have people enjoying themselves learning with them. English Zoom also includes practice activities on noun and adjective clauses and gerunds and infinitives

Please give the site a look. Check out the teachers' information page, too.

Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Pronunciation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: