I Need help with an ESL student!!

<b> Forum for elementary education ESL/EFL teachers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

SarahMarie

I Need help with an ESL student!!

Post by SarahMarie » Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:36 am

HI,
I am a student teacher in a 5th grade Reading and Math placement. . A few weeks ago a new Spanish speaking student joined our school, I have the student for math. I do not have any experience with ESL children. Our school does not have an ESOL teacher and most of the student's teachers depend on another student who is bilingual to help. Besides the other student, there are no modifications. I will be teaching my first lesson to this student's class in about two weeks. How can I make modification and accomodations for this student? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
SarahMarie

serendipity

Post by serendipity » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:01 am

Why would you want to make modifications for this student prior to getting to know him?

If I were you, I'd wait and see.

It could be that his English is quite good, it could be that he's a math-whiz and that math is the only subject where a different native language isn't all that much of an impediment, it could be that there's a whole range of other problems in that class that make his - probably - insufficient command of English pale by comparison.

Find out more about the problem - if there is one - before attempting to find a solution.

Well, that's my take on it. I teach math and English to engineering students, about 15% of who are non-native speakers - they're generally less of a problem than I'd thought.

SarahMarie

Post by SarahMarie » Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:06 pm

I actually realize that I made a mistake in my posting when I said the student came a few weeks ago, she has actually been with us for a few months. Also, when I said Spanish speaking student, I meant that she does not speak any English at all. As mentioned, the only way for her to communicate is by another student who is bilingual. I am looking for ways to get the student involved with the class because I feel she is being isolated.
Thanks!