End of course certificate

<b> Forum for material writers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Showem

End of course certificate

Post by Showem » Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:46 pm

I have a 3 day business intensive with some participants coming up and it's the first time I have to issue certificates myself. What would you suggest putting on them? I've thought of things like number of hours taught, subjects covered and my company's name of course, but I'm still trying to decide how to phrase them and if anything else needs to be on certificate.

Any suggestions?

Showem

Post by Showem » Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:29 am

Thanks for all your help. :?

Do you mean to tell me none of you issue certificates to your students at the end of a course?

sita

sorry

Post by sita » Tue Mar 11, 2003 10:22 am

sorry showem!

Mine take LCCI exams,TOEFEL, Cambridge (proficiency etc) or an exam at the German IHK.
I discourage my students from expecting a certificate issued by me/the language schools.

I always tell them my honest opinion: If they wish to use their courses to apply for a new job- it is a fact that in Germany only "proper" certificates are taken seriously. A language school would hardly issue an unbiased certificate.

I am happy to prepare them for a test where I have NO influence on their marks and they can judge themselves and my teaching skills by their examination results!

Siân

Maltezer

certificates

Post by Maltezer » Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:19 am

I think a 'vague' So and so has successfully completed Such and Such a course is pretty standard. It's this format used at a British University summer school at the end of their typical four-week courses.

This way you have not promised anything in the way of capability.

Jane

noonlite

Post by noonlite » Wed Mar 12, 2003 6:15 am

They generally say the name of the course and the number of hours or the nature of qualification that results from the course along with the name of the student, dates, etc. "This is to Certify that Carlos W. Whatever has completed a blah blah course at such a level on this date in this place" Be sure to use fancy almost illegible old style fonts and print it on heavy stock paper lol

Showem

Post by Showem » Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:04 am

Thanks for your replies.

Actually Sita, I teach in Germany too and I have found that most want a certificate, even if just for themselves. They have something to show their bosses (who probably paid for the course) and also to their colleagues.
Hey, I run a business, and if an impressive looking certificate on heavy stock paper (I do get the irony Noonlite :wink: ) impresses their colleagues enough to take a course from me, I'll use it. May sound cheap, but I have had students tell me that it was their colleague's certificate that first interested them in a course. Not the final decision maker, but enough to get them to ask more about it.
Jane, thanks for the tip about not promising cabilitiy by keeping it somewhat vague. Makes sense.

AM

Post by AM » Sun Mar 30, 2003 4:33 pm

Every year I give fancy certificates to my students (elementary school) with their current level printed on them. I also put "seals" on them for "Great Improvement" or "English Mastery."

Why?

- They will be recognized at the end-of-the year awards ceremony.
- They will have "proof" of their language level, which would be useful mostly only if they returned to their home language.
- They like them and are excited, happy, and proud.
- Their parents like them and are excited, happy, and proud.

I can't see any drawbacks, but would like to hear what the others think. If a certificate that says "Novice Low" excites a kid, it's no skin off my back...