Business English for IT professionals

<b> Forum for those teaching business English </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Indigo

Business English for IT professionals

Post by Indigo » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:29 pm

Greetings everyone,

I've just started teaching a BEC Vantage course at a financial institution. Both of my classes are made up of IT professionals. Are there any sites and / or texts I can purchase to supplement my lessons? I'm looking for materials geared towards the IT industry.

Thanks and best regards.

Indigo

Post by Indigo » Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:10 pm

Well, seeing as if no one around here has ever taught IT professionals, I'll go ahead and list some things I came up with on my own...just in case someone needs help in the future.:-)

1) ACM.org: A great site that has newsletters and the like. I'm going to try and use some of the articles for class.

2) Wired Mag: Clip some of these stories out, they're pretty good also.

serendipity

Information...

Post by serendipity » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:23 pm

Check out

http://newsdirectory.com/magazine.php?cat=4&sub=&c=

It's an online newsdirctory which features all kinds of computer magazines. You'll be sure to find something there that's geared towards the interests of your students.

bobs12

Post by bobs12 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:25 pm

Hi there,

How are you getting on? I've been teaching in an IT company for the last six months. I'll get back on here with some links as soon as I can.

I have some materials of my own that I don't mind sharing if you can do the same :wink:

Indigo

Post by Indigo » Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:10 pm

Serendipity, thanks for the info. Bobs, I'm slowly limping along. I don't have that much but I'm willing to share also. :-)

bobs12

Post by bobs12 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:46 pm

Hey Indigo, you still with the IT guys?

What's your lowest level and how are you getting on?

Shannondoah

IT Pros

Post by Shannondoah » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:39 pm

I have taught IT Pros all over the world as part of my job and they speak a language all their own. It helps if you can speak it as well. First off, you need to know what IT they are (ie Windows software, network hardware, Linux, desktop applications or backend server guys) Once you have established this then I can point you to the right area of instructional material. Good luck

Shannondoah Pitts

bobs12

Post by bobs12 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:03 pm

The guys I teach are in all areas- project management, pr, hr, promotion, sys admin, programming web and desktop applications, etc.

They work on all platforms, programming in .NET, Java, DELPHI, etc, basically covering everything under the sun.

Funnily enough, I find the situation quite the opposite. They claim to be 'totally proficient' in their own terminology, which they may be, though I doubt it. If I could get them to accept that making 'engine' rhyme with 'vagina' sounds ridiculous, it would be a breakthrough. Getting them inot a discussion about work is nigh-on impossible, they seem to think they don't need improvement in that area :shock: which worries me!

They're totally apathetic when it comes to learning- not wanting to put in one iota of effort. The best class is with one student who's working on an English translation of his site. We spend our lessons translating and checking his translated work. I've never seen a student go away happier.

Most of the rest have a 'we don't know what we want, but it's not this'-type attitude. Base lessons on working language and work situations, and they complain that they 'are already k-nowin-g all of zees', and just need to know how to make small talk with clients. Give them general English and they'll complain that it's not related to their work.

Anyway, establishing 'what IT they are' isn't really an issue with them, but if you know any good quality materials that get these techie guys going, I'll be a v.v.v. happy man!

clever2gether

Books & webquests

Post by clever2gether » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:02 pm

Hi,

My guys tend to know the technical vocabulary but do not have the confidence or language skills to string it all together into professional dialogue. I got linux experts to answer the exam questions in English and explain to me why that is the answer, that was tough but they managed it and were impressed by their own technical knowledge and English.

I designed a webquest for another group that needed to learn presentation skills, meaning that they could explore English sites to make a group presentation including handouts in English. Again challenging but it went down well.

I bought a couple of books from Cambridge University Press called Infotech, there is a student and teacher book, it is OK but I found more comfortable developing my own materials and most importantly I used the language in the sessions to develop more material.

Lastly, keep it light humoured and make it 100% relevant.

Good luck and get back to me off list with language levels and the area of IT they are working in, if you want to exchange materials.

[email protected]

English for IT

Post by [email protected] » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:15 pm

Look at this site. It's got lots of generally accessible links and some up-to-date teaching material:

http://englishforit.net/