Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Listening Techniques

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Pronunciation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angelamm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:57 pm    Post subject: Listening Techniques Reply with quote

Hello,

I want to improve my students' listening by making them aware of pronunciation features in English. I teach adults in Philadelphia, so it is mostly American Standard English. My questions are:

1. Which pronunciation features are most salient to listening comprehension?

2. What techniques can I use to make learners more aware of them?

Thank you

Angela

Last edited by angelamm on Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lorikeet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Listening Techniques Reply with quote

angelamm wrote:

1. Which pronunciation features are most salient to listening comprehension?

2. What techniques can I use to make learners more aware of them?

Thank you

Angela

Oh boy, Angela. This is a topic that could generate a very long response (from me at least Wink ) The first question is what English do you want to teach them to listen to? Since I teach in a program for immigrants to the United States, I concentrate on "standard" American English. I am sure the points I would make would be different if I were teaching EFL or if I were teaching "standard" British English (presuming there is such a thing Wink .) I always let my students know that my way isn't the only way, but if they are going to live in my city, they should be able to practice and understand the way people talk here.

If your students are in a similar situation and area, I could write that long post. Very Happy
angelamm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Listening Techniques Reply with quote

I teach adults in Philadelphia, so it is American Standard English mostly. I'm open for any suggestions.

Thanks again
Angela
Lorikeet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've done a lot of things with pronunciation and listening. I think our students have the most difficulty with the stress and intonation of American English sentences, including in particular the reductions and liaisons. I'd recommend you get a book like "Clear Speech" to see what I mean--I'm write a whole semester's worth of material on similar things.

For my students, at the beginning of the class, I explain the problem by giving them the famous sentence (It was famous when I studied linguistics in the Stone Age.) "He took off his hat." Spoken at regular native speaker speed, the students often hear "coffee" or "office". This is because we tend to link words that end with a final consonant to words that begin with a vowel. In addition, the /h/ sound before words like "he, him, his," and "her" lose the /h/ and act as though they started with a vowel. There are a lot of "rules" for linking, to show students why we say "Doncha wanna go?" for "Don't you want to go" etc.

To teach it, I usually give dictations. I dictate a sentence three times at regular speed. Then I ask them to check their papers to see if it looks like English, and to check each other. The next time I read the sentence three times again, but the second time is very weird. I read it with all the liasons and reductions intact, but at a very slow speed. It would sound crazy to anyone passing by, but it gives them a chance to see what happens. I always end with the regular speed because that's what I want them to remember. After that, I show them the answers on an overhead projector, and I ask them what's small or together (reduced or liaison) I then mark them on the overhead and we practice together. I will say that my students have often told me how useful this is, and that we should have more of them. They claim that their listening has improved. I hope it's true Wink

If you really want more detail about this let me know via private message. I wouldn't mind sharing some of my stuff if you are interested. That way no one has to try and read through this all. Twisted Evil
sita

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya!

I encourage my students to use the www as an additional

tool at home!

I tell them to either listen to me ranting on my homepage or use this excellent and FREE Exclamation site

http://www.esl-lab.com/index.htm

Best wishes
Siān
costas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Listening Techniques Reply with quote

angelamm wrote:
I teach adults in Philadelphia, so it is American Standard English mostly. I'm open for any suggestions.

Thanks again
Angela

Since you teach American English, I recommend you this website.

http://www.englishbaby.com/community/index.htm

Cheers
sita

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya

Use these free sites -sorry my keyboard is effed up

use these for BE:

http://www.fun2learnmore.de/modules.php?name=News&file=categories&op=newindex&catid=2

or this one

http://www.fun2learnmore.de/modules.php?name=News&file=categories&op=newindex&catid=2

ALL FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

please give me feedback Shocked

siān Surprised Mad Twisted Evil

Last edited by sita on Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
sita

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS

American English

http://www.americanaccent.com

listen and enjoy

Siān

Very Happy Twisted Evil Very Happy Twisted Evil Very Happy Twisted Evil Very Happy Twisted Evil Very Happy
Lien

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you tell me how to teach pronunciation to EFL learners?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Pronunciation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: