Rainbow Passage

<b>Forum for ideas on how to teach pronunciation </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Popster

Rainbow Passage

Post by Popster » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:35 pm

Is anyone aware where I might find a copy of the Rainbow Passage? It is a standard assessment tool for the hearing impaired that uses all the American English phonemes in the same frequency as they are used in everyday speech. I was hoping to evaluate whether it would be useful for assessment in the ESL environment.

EH

Post by EH » Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:57 am

Here you go:

"The Rainbow Passage"

When the sunlight strikes raindrops in the air, they act like a prism and form a rainbow. The rainbow is a division of white light into many beautiful colors. These take the shape of a long round arch, with its path high above, and its two ends apparently beyond the horizon. There is, according to legend, a boiling pot of gold at one end. People look, but no on ever finds it. When a man looks for something beyond his reach, his friends say he is looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

I used to have "The Grandfather Passage" too, but I can't seem to find it right now.
-EH