LAS TEST

<b> Forum for the discussion of assessment and testing of ESL/EFL students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

sara costa

LAS TEST

Post by sara costa » Thu May 15, 2003 5:25 pm

Does anyone have any experience in administering the LAS test? These are the Language Assessment Scales, mainly used in ESL programs in the US.There is the LAS-Oral and the LAS Reading and Writing. It seems very complete but at the same time very cumbersome to administer. Does anyone know any shortcuts? Our school is the American School of Lima, Peru, South America and we get ESL students from many parts of the world at all times of the year. Some come with no English at all and others with a little. We are new at this and feel overwhelmed. :?
Thanks in advance for your replies. :D

Rebecca Feld

las test

Post by Rebecca Feld » Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:45 pm

I am also looking for some help with the LAS assessment. We are a private school in Los Angeles and are trying to implement this test to begin ESL program. Where do I get this test and did you have any luck administering it? Let me know. We are overwhelmed too.

sara costa

Post by sara costa » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:15 pm

Hi,
we got the test from CTB McGraw-Hill. Check it at www.ctb.com
The oral portion of the test is the one that takes up time. The reading and writing are done in two 45 minute sessions and are not difficult to administer. There is also a computarized data management software called LASscore that you must have because scoring by hand takes way too long. It is best used at the MS/HS level. Not as suitable for elementary or pre-school.
I hope this is of some help to you.

tanya

student with no English after several months

Post by tanya » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:59 pm

Someone, please help!

I am a first year ESL teacher in Texas and my colleague and I have three students...all sisters, who arrived late last school year from Mexico. The youngest of the girls is speaking and learning English at an incredibly fast rate. She is in Pre-K. Her two older sisters, 2nd and 4th graders, still are extremely shy, know no English at all, and will barely whisper even in Spanish. Neither even seem to read in Spanish. We are clueless as to what to do, and especially how to administer the RPTE.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know........we really need help.