Ideas of public speaking skills for lecturers

<b> Forum for Academic Directors and Academic Coordinators </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

christine_puan

Ideas of public speaking skills for lecturers

Post by christine_puan » Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:54 am

Hello there, its a pleasure to be able to write in here its my first time and i am looking forward to a having a swell time here with all of you people. I am a new lecturer in malaysia and i am eager to know how i could improve the public speaking skills of lecturers especially in their delivery skills. This will benefit greatly to my new project which is to conduct a seminar on the commucative skills. i would love to invite anyone with similar interest to give me their ideas on the types of activities that i could include in the seminar to make their learning fun, interactive and beneficial for their teaching field. The lecturers here in Malaysia are familiar with English but somehow rather reserved and less confident to use the language so how should i go about encouraging a confident and effective speaker? I would love to hear from you all maybe if you like to come over to conduct the seminar and it would be my pleasure to contact you. For those interested in conducting the seminar i would like to give you a proposal of the payments, requirements, objectives etc of the seminar. The venue would be in Politeknik Perlis Malaysia. Thank you.

CAP'N'CHOH

Interested

Post by CAP'N'CHOH » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:26 am

Hi, I'm an Australian national teaching communication classes in Malaysia.
If you're still active here on the forums, I'd like to say I'm interested in you proposal, or otherwise the outcomes of your seminar, being fairly familiar with the educational environment in Malaysia now.
I realise I might be a bit late to reply by now!

Bytes Land

Post by Bytes Land » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:42 am

I can't but mention my favourite quote by George Jessel on this topic “The human brain starts working the moment you are born and never stops until you stand up to speak in public.”)) According to most studies, people's number one fear is public speaking. Number two is death. Death is number two. Does that sound right? This means to the average person, if you go to a funeral, you're better off in the casket than doing the eulogy. That it one of the reasons I really find the initiative, suggested here, very interesting and useful.