Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The difference between dramas and soap operas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Adult Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manny3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject: The difference between dramas and soap operas? Reply with quote

I will be teaching a lesson regarding dramas and soap operas. How can I describe the differences between the two? What popular soap operas are there in Japan?
Sally Olsen

Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me there is no difference between a daytime drama and a soup opera. They called them soup operas because the dramas were sponsored by soup companies. Here is a web site that tells you current ones in Japan. http://www.nt2099.com/DORAMA/

I really enjoyed one that had a young girl jumping impossible distances. She loved a man who was gay who loved a man who loved the girl.
alexcase

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the Japanese say "drama" (more like dorama in Japanese), they basically mean a soap opera, the main difference being that Japanese (and the even more popular Korean ones) have a limited time span (usually a year or two max) rather than carrying on indefinitely like British or American ones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Adult Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: