The difference between dramas and soap operas?

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Manny3

The difference between dramas and soap operas?

Post by Manny3 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:39 am

I will be teaching a lesson regarding dramas and soap operas. How can I describe the differences between the two? What popular soap operas are there in Japan?

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:31 am

For me there is no difference between a daytime drama and a soup opera. They called them soup operas because the dramas were sponsored by soup companies. Here is a web site that tells you current ones in Japan. http://www.nt2099.com/DORAMA/

I really enjoyed one that had a young girl jumping impossible distances. She loved a man who was gay who loved a man who loved the girl.

alexcase

Post by alexcase » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:17 pm

When the Japanese say "drama" (more like dorama in Japanese), they basically mean a soap opera, the main difference being that Japanese (and the even more popular Korean ones) have a limited time span (usually a year or two max) rather than carrying on indefinitely like British or American ones.