iPad and ESL sessions

<b> Forum for the discussion on how to use computers and technology in the ESL/EFL classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Rp

iPad and ESL sessions

Post by Rp » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:15 pm

Hello,
Not sure if this is the correct thread for this, but..... has anyone tried using Apple's iPad for teaching sessions? I have been considering using one but with its 10 inch screen I am wondering how good it would be for group work. One on one may be okay but I am hoping someone out there has tried one.

If so, please let me know how it is going and how you used it.

thanx

matbury

Post by matbury » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:44 pm

Hi Rp,

My question is, why use iPads? There are several reasons why they are unsuitable for elearning:

#1 - They don't support Flash, which is the de facto elearning software platform and used for most on-line multimedia, and there are no practical workarounds.

#2 - They don't have a real keyboard and the on-screen virtual keyboards are awkward for most people to use.

#3 - They aren't multi-tasking so it's difficult to use multimedia and since iPad doesn't support Flash, Java or other browser media plugins, on-line multimedia is also very difficult to access.

#4 - iPads are very expensive. Netbooks, laptops, desktops, etc. are all cheaper and support all the software types you'll need.

I hope this helps! :)

chatfouz

ipad

Post by chatfouz » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:33 am

of course the ipad is useful
i use in my classroom

we have one of those elmo's - the camera that looks down and projects on teh wall so all the kids can see what you are drawing...

Put an ipad on it and now you have a 5ft ipad. I use it for pictures, drawing, and sometimes quiz games. Plenty of ipad toefl quiz programs, put it on the projecter and let students write down answer or answer in groups. Then reveal the answer.

Sure some would argue you oculd do this with powerpoint, but on the ipad it needs 0 work and powerpoint can be boring. this is at least different.

silencedobetter

Post by silencedobetter » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:51 am

Hi RP:

iPad is a really good supplementary teaching material in the classroom. Apple has educational apps with flash cards, story books, interactive learning, etc. If you have big classes, you will have to walk around the classroom for everyone to see. Sometimes I show them videos on Youtube but since the screen is too small. It's just a sneak preview for them. I give them the link of the video and ask them to watch it at home.

Cheers