rates for teaching online

<b> Forum for the discussion on how to use computers and technology in the ESL/EFL classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

bookholm

rates for teaching online

Post by bookholm » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:44 pm

Hi, my name is Ashley and I'm a graduate student in English in Illinois. A PhD student in my department is setting up a small online tutoring company serving English Language Learners in Vietnam. I will be working for her part-time, and she has offered to let me set my own wages. I know how much how to charge for synchronous tutoring (i.e. via Skype) but how much should I charge for copy-editing/asynchronous tutoring work? My colleague suggested that my tutees pay per page, and that my rates vary per genre of writing (dissertation, personal statement, etc.) but I still have no idea what to charge.
If it means anything, I have previous experience in teaching, ESL tutoring, and copy-editing, and have completed one year of graduate study.
Any help is much appreciated!
-Ashley

danielrobert55

Re:

Post by danielrobert55 » Thu May 23, 2013 10:36 am

Hey Ashley, Well that depends totally on you as every tutor charges keeping in mind the subjects and students capability and fee also depends on tutor's capability. I my self an online tutor and I use to charge different fee from different students but my minimum fee is $25 per hour. I have also done online teaching assistant course from UK open college to enhance my skills as a teacher.

KatrinaB88

online tutoring rates

Post by KatrinaB88 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:45 pm

Hi

I charge according to time and/or complexity or level of the lesson. My minimum is $20 per half hour. You can check out my site to see how I work it at greateng.com

Katrina