What can I do with my TESOL cert?

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Kent Golding

What can I do with my TESOL cert?

Post by Kent Golding » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:13 pm

Hi.
After months of study and hard work, I recently received a TESOL certificate. My company sponsored me and many of my co-workers in taking this class. My job is tutoring South Korean students in English, via Skype and the internet.
Anyway, I was hoping some of the fine people on this site might have some ideas or suggestions about what kinds of classroom jobs I am now qualified to get, with this certificate in hand - i.e. academies or night schools for recent immigrant ESL students, etc. I want to work in the USA, because I am at a point in my life where working abroad seems out of reach, at least for now.
One might think I would have a solid idea about this, since I took the class, but I really don't. My company paid our way to take this class, but that's mostly because they, eventually, will want all employees to have the certificate. Despite this seeming generosity on the part of my employer, I am eager to find new employment opportunities.
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Kent Golding

Hello...

Post by Kent Golding » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:54 pm

Anybody out there?

JRanieri

Post by JRanieri » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:50 pm

Hi Kent,

I also have my TESOL Certificate. Aside from that, I have a B.A. in Spanish Language and Literature and an A.A. in Multi-Ethnic Studies. Armed with these, I was able to secure a job teaching ESL to adult refugees 26 hours a week. This many hours though, in a single job, is hard to find in adult ed, which is basically all you can teach with a TESOL Certificate. Some schools don't require any specific training in TESOL, while others will want a M.A. All schools are different. My advice would be to look at community colleges and BOCES. Apply even if the requirements aren't ones you meet, because the pool of ESL teachers is not too deep, many employers are willing to hire those with less education.

Good luck!

Jill

Kent Golding

Thanks Jill

Post by Kent Golding » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:57 pm

Jill - one question: Where do you live? Or at least what part of the USA?
I'm in Wyoming, and opportunities for this type of work are scarce here.
Since I don't have the resources to move at this point, my only option seems to be teaching online.