Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ideas for teaching English to an adult student

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Adult Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kathiweaver

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Ideas for teaching English to an adult student Reply with quote

I am currently teaching English in a secondary school in the Republic of Georgia. I am a new teacher and struggling with how to teach my students. In addition, I am currently staying with a host family where my host mother also wants me to teach her English. She is surprisingly good at reading and writing, but has very limited conversational skills. Does anyone have any ideas how to help remedy this? I have trouble coming up with conversation topics to discuss with her or activities to really engage her listening and speaking skills. I feel she would rather talk with me than do listening activities online, which is not surprising. I really could use any advice!
Sally Olsen

Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with what is in her home, the kitchen and recipes, the photos, the trinkets and what they mean. Name things and write them on post it notes to stick on the items for awhile until she knows the names. Write out the stories that she tells your about the photos, trinkets and have her read them back. Make them into conversations with questions and answers.

Talk about her family and what they are doing. Write it down and have her read it back. At first have a picture dictionary to illustrate the words that are not in her house and then get a bilingual dictionary so you can look up more abstract ideas.

Gossip about the neighbours, the extended family, the local officials.

Of course, you can show her pictures of your family, home, hometown and so on and extend the conversation forever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Adult Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: