[Discussion] How to change stuyding attitude of students

<b> Forum for those teaching business English </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

BNHS86

[Discussion] How to change stuyding attitude of students

Post by BNHS86 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:13 am

I got the TESOL Certificate in 2009 and began my teaching career since then. I knew that I have just a little of exp in teaching methodology.

Recently, my issue is about how to change the studying attitude of students. I am now teaching in a University in my city. Almost the students in my class are studying about IT Major. But the English Curriculum is not specified. The university force students study all Business English. That's really struggling for any IT students who are not interested in Business English. I have tried my best to help students understand about the Business English ( My class is Pre-Intermediate level) and some basic concept. However, I usually receive the studying resistance from students :(. Students ask me have more and more games. Should or should not we have game for students in University since the limited hours in class with the inappropriate levels?

hereinchina

make learning fun

Post by hereinchina » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:25 pm

try your best to make learning fun

clifdavis

Post by clifdavis » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:11 am

As the previous poster stated, make it as fun as possible. One suggestion would be to get the students involved in creating the game. Since the idea is to teach them business English, and the goal is to have them comfortable using English in a business setting, make someone the head of the company who has an IT problem and they need to present the solution to the head in English. Make it a contest.

Clifford,
In China