mommy and me class

<b> Forum for teachers working with preschool children </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

daroz

mommy and me class

Post by daroz » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:13 pm

I now find myself doing a mommy and me class for the first time. I have experience with little ones, but I would like some resources which give ideas on how to keep the class interesting for both moms and kids. The children are around two. websites? ideas? Thanks in advance.

Mdream

Post by Mdream » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:02 pm

I teach a lot of 2 year olds with their Moms. It can be a challenge, but also fun. I try to get the parents involved as much as I can, because the kids will imitate their parents.

For example, if you are doing warm up actions (wash your hands, wiggle your ears, etc.) have the parents do them too, or help the child. When you are asking kids questions (What's your name? How old are you?) make sure the parents are asking with you.

I have some other lesson plans and game ideas on my site, and a free numbers song download. The song, Let's Count 1-10, is really effective for this age. www.dreamenglish.com/numbers (of course have the Moms/Dads sing along too!)

Also, vary the pace. Do a song, then a game, then coloring, then a book, etc. Keep the kids kinda guessing, what's next. good luck!

mesmark

Post by mesmark » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:29 pm

There are a lot of ideas you can use on www.mes-english.com . There are printable games, like Spiders and Candy that are great for 2 year olds.

There are also a lot of ideas in the games and activities forums. It's a site for ESL teachers who are teaching young learners. If you have a questions, it's also a great place to get some answers.

- Mark
certificate templates | printable cards | printable calendars

shelleyvernon

Post by shelleyvernon » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:43 am

I would really recommend puppets with two year olds, and the puppet of course, only speaks English.

For example with a story have a puppet who is one of the characters. Bear in mind that even a sock will do - you don't have to go out and buy something. If you put your hand up a sock you'll see you can scrunch it to make a mouth and pull plenty of faces - though it is vastly improved if you sow on a couple of buttons for eyes and some wool for hair.

With my Hetty and the Lion story, a teacher told me that she used a teddy as the lion, and her pupils loved him and had no problem repeating words to 'teddy' and answering him when he asked questions. Teddy was always hungry too and the children loved 'feeding' him with the fruits. She says "Teddy would talk in my ear 'Ice cream' I would repeat it and all the children with Ice cream flash cards would give them to teddy and he would devour them making lots of noise! The children found this hysterical."

Then teddy can be a bit naughty and keep hiding the resources/pictures. The teacher can never remember which one he's taken so the kids have to help. It makes the topics so real for the kids and they love it. Teddy can fall asleep and hide somewhere in the room before the start of every lesson!

Those are some ideas from my teaching twos report compiled from 250 teachers, and it come with preschool stories but if you just want the teaching twos you can get it separately - it's v. cheap, but you have to email me as I don't have it featured separately on my site.
(info (- - AT - -) teachingenglishgames.com)

All the best
Shelley
http://www.teachingenglishgames.com/3-5.htm

musica5

free video of finger rhymes

Post by musica5 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:33 pm

Hi
I have just started uploading video onto my youtube channel.
I have taught for years and just thought of adding the finger rhymes and chants to my site. These would be perfect to use with moms and children.

http://www.youtube.com/pamelasunshinetv
I will be adding more every week and if you have a request just let me know.

I also have a CD with loads of finger rhymes and chants available on itunes. It is called Five Little Finger Rhymes and Lots of Circle Games.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/five-l ... 29574?uo=4
So you can just get the individual mp3s that you might want.

I hope some of this helps you and enjoy the little ones, they are such a joy.

Take care
Pamela
http://www.facebook.com/pamelasunshine

cyndie28

Post by cyndie28 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:10 pm

I think that a preschool teacher is indeed a mommy with his or her students since the teacher has to engrave new base in the learners’ routine. The students are not use to go to some place everyday to learn new stuff. They are also not use to quit their mommies for at least 3 or 4 hours in a row which is why sometimes students feel all dizzy and cannot recognise anything. The teacher needs to comfort these students by doing fun activities and keep their interest focused on the material learn in class.