Help please!!!...teaching ESL with dui

<b> Forum for the discussion of everything ESP </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

dmd887

Help please!!!...teaching ESL with dui

Post by dmd887 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:46 pm

Hello everyone, I wasn't sure where to post this question...

I am set to graduate in Spring and after graduation was looking forward to teaching ESL over in Asia. My sights were set on Korea, but upon investigation it seems like anyone with an even minor criminal record can't get an E-2 Visa to teach in Korea...(I have a DUI on my record, that is all, nothing else), this information is sort of disappointing.

My question is this:

Where else in Asia can I teach English where this DUI on a background check WON'T be a problem in regards to getting a visa in order to teach?
China? Taiwan? Thailand?

Is Korea the only one where it would be a problem?

thanks again....look forward to your responses

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:57 pm

Hi Dmd, I haven't heard of background checks being conducted much if at all for China or Taiwan, but Thailand might require them (or could now be requiring so). Best thing is to join the International/Job Discussion forums and ask in each relevant country's forum for up-to-the-minute information (separate, somewhat vetted registration is required for the JD forums generally, whilst Korea itself has a dedicated set of forums which require their very own registration i.e. make sure you don't post Korea-related questions on the JD forums, as such threads will be almost immediately locked by the mods!).
http://forums.eslcafe.com/teacher/viewtopic.php?t=579

dmd887

Post by dmd887 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:55 pm

I tried registering for the Job Discussions forum and got the email telling me to supply my name, address etc. etc. and I did but I still haven't recieved an email me back telling me my account is activated ....hmmmm....I thought registering here would give me access to all forums

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:52 pm

Hi again Dmd, it'll take a day or two to be approved and activated, so...fingers crossed! :wink: