Reading in English

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Kennen

Reading in English

Post by Kennen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:25 am

Extensive reading in English with the help of a good English dictionary on a variety of real life topics is one of the ways to learn English vocabulary. Since there is an enormous amount of reading material in English, a learner of English has to prioritise reading in subjects according to learner's needs for using English to encompass first the most necessary, relevant and frequently used vocabulary. Day-to-day topics ought to come first in reading.

Reading materials can be arranged by level of difficulty of vocabulary - for learners at beginning, intermediate and advanced levels.

Learners can master the most important English vocabulary by reading thematic texts (materials), first of all on everyday topics with important content, for example: Practical Tips and Advice to Make Everyday Life Easier and Better (practical solutions for everyday problems). Such self-help books on settling everyday matters are available at book stores.

In addition to thematic informative texts (materials), learners can read thematic dialogues (samples of real life conversations between people), narrative realistic stories, fine literature, newspapers, magazines, Internet materials, books in various subjects, general thematic English dictionaries, etc.

Good general thematic English dictionaries arrange vocabulary by subject matter (topics) and provide clear word usage explanations and also a few usage sentences for each word meaning, which is especially important. English synonym dictionaries provide usage explanations and usage examples for words with similar meaning. Thematic general English dictionaries combined with English synonym dictionaries are a valuable tool for mastering English vocabulary logically, comprehensively and intensively for real life needs of learners.

Good public libraries have a wide selection of English reading materials.

Learners must write down unknown vocabulary in whole sentences. It is essential that they practise telling the content of the texts that they have read. Learners can write key words and phrases, or main ideas as a plan, or questions on the text that require long answers to make easier for learners to tell the content of the text. I believe it is a good idea to read each logical chunk or paragraph of a text and to narrate each paragraph separately, and then the whole text. As people say, practice makes perfect.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:03 am

Kennen, I think that you are writing a manual for students who are learning English. But, you are writing at too high a level. If the student could understand what you have written here, they could pass the tests they are studying for.

Again, I find it too emphatic about what they should and shouldn't do. Students learn in a variety of ways and it is not always "essential" that they do this or that. The tone is just too strong for my liking and I wouldn't give this to a student or recommend this to a student.

I know all this as a teacher. So who are your writing this for?

Have you ever read the book, "Practice makes practice"?

Kennen

Reading in English

Post by Kennen » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:47 pm

Hello Sally,
My intention wasn't to impose my views on anyone. I just expressed my opinions on this issue. It is up to a person to agree or disagree with me.
Maybe some words in my text need to be easier for understanding and less emphatic so that they don't sound somewhat dictatorial in your view. However I still believe if a person wants to accomplish something, he or she must do what is needed or required. Wishes don't wash dishes, as the proverb says. I believe that my suggestions in the post are correct, and the content is helpful and useful to learners of English. You obviously don't like some of my wording and therefore you believe that the content of my suggestions as a whole is inappropriate for learners, with which I disagree.