Polishing English

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

STCrowley

Polishing English

Post by STCrowley » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:13 pm

Hello, all!

I've just come back from an unusual first lesson: a student who, really, I feel like doesn't need English lessons. He, also, is mostly interested in conversation and, with time, learning new vocabulary as it happens. But, as far as grammar and 'language skills,' I don't think I have anything to offer him.

Normally, I'd have no problem just chatting. . . But, I want to give him the feeling that we're learning something. For the near future, I plan on doing some 'routine' emailing and telephoning lessons, which will probably be review for him, as well as working on the vocabulary he'll need to describe his company, responsibilities, and work.

But, after that, I don't know how to make a 'road map' for what we're going to do so that he has the feeling of 'today I learned X.'

What would you do in this situation?
-Toby

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:30 pm

I had a student like this in Japan. She was in her 80's and she had perfect British English. As she said, "If you don't use it, you lose it." I often got her to explain, in English, about Japanese culture, myths, stories, legends, traditions and something I was having trouble with in learning Japanese. I often used metaphors she was not used to in normal conversation and she would stop me and have me explain. I always used "colonial" expressions as she called them which also needed explanation. I was very careful to watch for a surprised look which indicated that it was something new for her.

Otherwise, I just had discussions about her favourite topics as if we were friends and we are still friends but now by Skype.

Lucky you.